Full link to this page: https://confluence.cornell.edu/display/culpublic/Mann%27s+JIRA+Quick+Start+Guide
Tiny link to this page: https://confluence.cornell.edu/x/OahpBw
JIRA is a issue tracking and project management system that you access from your web browser.
JIRA consists of Projects that contain Issues
Change your Password, Profile, and Preferences.
Have issues that are assigned to you show up on your JIRA Dashboard (aka home page).
Have easy access to your project(s), favorite filters, etc. as well.
Additional information for project administrators...
Pie Charts, Gantt Charts, you name it!
Can also create reports via the Filters described above. The results can be printed or exported to Word, Excel, PDF, XML, etc.
All projects created at Mann contain the following Schemes...
Permission Scheme (set which users are allowed to do what--done by Groups)
Notification Scheme (who should receive an e-mail when a change is made to the issue)
Other Schemes that are available include...
Issue Type Scheme (used if you want to have different issue types than the default)
Field Configuration Scheme (used if you want to have additional customized fields for entry)
Workflow Scheme (used if you want to have a non-standard workflow)
JIRA Best Practices
- Don't send out e-mails about issues/tasks that are in JIRA. Simply keep all information in JIRA and let JIRA send e-mails when issues/tasks are added/updated.
- Attach documents to issues/tasks as appropriate, so all information is available in the future.
- Customize the issue/task entry page to meet your needs, including the addition of new custom fields.
- Customize the Notification Scheme so that folks do not receive unnecessary e-mails.
- Share reports (aka Filters) within the project.
- Make use of Versions so that all issues/tasks for a release/due date are reported together.
- Use Components to assign issues/tasks to the appropriate category. Each category can be assigned to the person in charge of that work.
- When using sub-tasks, give the parent task an estimate of 1 minute so that you able to quickly identify the parent tasks.