- Double click on Model in the project window.
- Suppress pedal and Part9 under Geometry.
- Highlight Mesh, Mesh Control > Sizing.
- Choose the Select Body under Help button and highlight the Bike Crank > Apply.
- Element Size: 0.2 in.
- Update to view the more refined mesh.
- Mesh Control > Method > click on body > Apply.
- Method > Multizone.
- Update and check presence under Mesh (you should see Body Sizing and MultiZone.
If you are running Ansys 15 or above, don't worry if your mesh looks different. If everything else was done correctly, you may expect a mesh not that regular, especially in the middle of the crank. For Ansys 17.2, expect to get around 1139 elements and 6400 nodes. Different versions of the mesher give different numbers of elements and nodes with similar settings. This is just the initial mesh. As part of verification, one needs to do a mesh convergence study.
We next refine the mesh locally in "areas of concern" using a "face sizing" as demonstrated in the following video.